Unidirectional trams are common across Eastern Europe and the former USSR, with reversing loops provided so trams can turn around for their reverse journeys. But the Ukrainian capital of Kiev once turned trams a different way – on a turntable.
The tram route along Набережне шосе opened in 1951, with the Dnieper River on one side and the hills of Kiev to the other.
A conventional reversing loop takes up a lot of space.
So a turntable was provided instead. Overhead wires allowed trams to drive onto the turntable.
A sign reminded the driver to apply the brakes before entering the turntable, and what appears to be signal lights tell them when to stop.
Inaugurated on 2 April 1965, the need for the turntable disappeared a few months after opening, when the Kiev Metro was extended across the Dnieper River to “Hidropark”, “Livoberezhna” and “Darnytsia” stations.
The tram turntable was removed at an unknown date, but the tram line along the river remained until 2011.
When it was ripped up to make room for highway expansion.